There once was a man who owned a wonderful goose.
Every morning, the goose laid for him a big, beautiful egg — an egg made of pure, shiny, solid gold.
And every morning, the man collected golden eggs. And little by little, egg by egg, he began to grow rich.
But the man wanted more. “My goose has all those golden eggs inside her,” he kept thinking. “Why not get them all at once?” One day he couldn’t wait any longer. He grabbed the goose and killed her. But there were no eggs inside her! “Why did I do that?” the man cried! “Now there will be no more golden eggs.”
One can compare one's own ability to earn income to the goose laying golden eggs. Once that ability is gone, then it's gone and hardship as a result of lost income will follow.
Most of us insure our home, our vehicle and even our life, but relatively few protect against the possibility of becoming disabled through an accident or illness and not being able to continue to work to earn an income, as a result.
Related reading: What You Need to Know about Applying for Disability Insurance
In fact, did you know that:
• 1 in 3 people, on average, will be disabled for 90 days or more at least once before they reach age 65?
• A disability can last for months or even years?
Now consider these situations:
• A person spends 2 years recuperating from a car accident.
• A carpenter breaks an arm badly while skiing and can’t work for 16 weeks.
• An overworked doctor must “take it easy” after a heart attack.
• Chemotherapy saps the energy of a busy professional.
• A stroke affects a computer programmer’s ability to reason with numbers.
• An individual has been diagnosed with major depressive disorder following a traumatic event.
Without disability insurance, these individuals face a hard road ahead.
Could you pay the bills from being absent from work? What would your family do?
If you’re self-employed or you work for a smaller company, you may not have disability coverage, which leaves you and your family exposed.
Achieve peace-of-mind and protect yourself and your family by insuring the goose that lays the golden eggs -- your ability to earn an income.
Related reading: The Most Important Asset You Forgot to Insure
Consult with a professional insurance advisor as soon as possible to review personalized disability insurance options. By not doing so puts you and your family at significant risk. Protect the goose that lays the golden eggs!
Related reading: The 73 Most Important Disability Insurance Terms
Interested in learning more about Disability Insurance and how it can protect you and your family? Download our free ebook: The Beginner's Guide to Disability Insurance.